Henry Highland Corel
Nancy Matney and Henry Highland Corel
Henry Highland Corel was born April 2, 1814. Henry Highland is one of our biggest clues that Rebecca Oney's mother was Sarah Highland Oney.
August 2, 1838 Henry Corel married Nancy Matney (also seen spelled Matiney) in Tazewell County, Virginia. Henry and Nancy traveled with his family to Missouri and later settled in Lawrence, Douglas County, Kansas.
The above image is of Jemima Morris Corel-Salathiel, third child of Nancy Matney and Henry Highland Corel. This photo was provided by Joe Cullen, Jemima's great grandson.
Henry Corel died May 15, 1855 in Lawrence, Douglas County, Kansas. Nancy Matney Corel died soon after, in October of the same year. Their only son, William Corel, also died in 1855. All three were victims of the measles epidemic that swept Lawrence in that year. All were buried in Mt. Oread Cemetery. In 1871 their remains were relocated to Oak Hill Cemetery.
- Sarah Jane was born about 1839 in Tazewell County, Virginia.
- William was born about 1840 in Tazewell County, Virginia.
He died in 1855 in Lawrence, Douglas County, Kansas.
- Jemima Morris was born April 22, 1842 in Tazewell County, Virginia.
- Julia Ann was born January 25, 1844 in Tazewell County, Virginia.
- Margaret was born about 1846.
- Louisa was born about 1848.
- Rebecca Elizabeth was born about 1853 in Jackson County, Missouri.